Monday, July 4, 2016

UnREAL 1.01

Return

- heard about this show on Pop Culture Happy Hour and possibly on WTF when Constance Zimmer was on
- wasn't too taken by the show at first but about 15-20 minutes in to the show it started to get interesting
- the central part of the show and what I see as the most interesting part of the show is the relationship between Rachel and Quinn
- Rachel continues to work on the show as a producer where she flamed out or melted down in the previous season because she has to; they have power over her; at the same time she knows she has a talent for manipulating people and getting the most out the people on the show while simultaneously being disgusted by what she is able to accomplish
- Quinn is the executive producer of the show so in theory she holds all the cards but she doesn't because she is beholden to Chet, the show's creator; she does what she has to stay in his good graces which on this episode looks like she allows him to use her sexually and presumably it isn't the first time; she knows that Rachel is good for the show but that doesn't keep her from pushing her around; ultimately I think she sees something in Rachel that reminds her of herself
- I didn't laugh very much but the what-what-what scene totally got me
- 10 minutes in I wasn't sure if I would be watching any more of this show but by 20 minutes in it was really starting to get its hooks into me; I think I'm in for the long haul which at this point means the rest if season 1 (10 episodes) which is all that's available on Hulu for now

---

- on second thought I've been thinking about it and I'm starting to wonder if my first reading of Quinn and Chet's relationship is mistaken; I believe this is supposed to be the 4th season of the show (Everlasting); maybe they have a romantic or sexual relationship; even though he seems to be calling the shots when they are doing it in her office maybe that's just the way it looks
- towards the end of the episode there is a scene of them, she is sitting on his lap, that moment makes me think that their relationship is a little more complicated than I initially thought; hopefully this will be something that was explored in future episodes of season 1

No comments:

Post a Comment