Friday, September 30, 2016

Luke Cage 1.01

Moment of Truth

- this series seems to be set after the 1st seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones as there are at least a couple references events from those seasons
- During the day Luke works at Pop's barber shop sweeping up and keeping the place clean; at night he works in a night club; Pop is a decent person whereas Cornell "Cottonmouth" Stokes, the owner of the night club, is not, they are that different just like night and day
- Usually he works in the kitchen of the nightclub washing dishes but he gets an opportunity to tend bar when Dante, one of his coworkers, calls in sick; what Luke doesn't know is that Dante isn't at work because he is sticking up an arms deal with a couple of guys who Luke clashed with earlier in the day at the barber shop
- While tending bar Luke meets a woman who claims to be be an auditor but is later revealed to be a cop, but not to Luke at least not in this episode; I'm not sure if her name was revealed in the first episode but I just learned it from looking at IMDB: Misty Knight; Luke and Misty wind up back at his place; they share a sizzling hot love scene and the next morning steamy kisses before parting ways
- Cottonmouth isn't happy about the stick up; the money or the guns were his; his men find the leader of the trio and beats him to death when he won't reveal where the money is; I found that scene to be very cartoonish and over the top; it seemed a bit out of place in this episode
- Alfre Woodard plays the part of a city councilwoman who getting financial support from some shady characters including Cottonmouth
- the episode ends with Luke demonstrating his abilities to some local thugs who try sticking up his landlady's restaurant; this is the only fight scene that involves Luke

- Got to admit Luke Cage did not impress me in the 1st season of Jessica Jones; I was thinking of waiting before watching this but then I heard show runner Cheo Hodari Coker on Combat Jack and changed my mind and decided to give it a try
- I didn't love this episode  but I found enough to like that I plan to continue watching it
- really liked the music
- I'm still not sold on Mike Colter in the title role; he looks the part but I don't think he has the acting chops to make it interesting enough for me; thankfully, the show or at least the first episode is produced in such a way that it doesn't rest entirely on his shoulders

No comments:

Post a Comment