Sunday, November 20, 2016

Point Break (1991)

Point Break (1991)

I first saw Point Break in the theater 25 years ago when it was first released during the summer of 1991 in Jacksonville, NC. I was stationed at Camp LeJeune. I was there for infantry school. I graduated from boot camp on June 21. On July 2, after 10 days of leave, I reported to Camp LeJeune for the first of two phases of infantry training. I recall that T2 was released on July 4 but I didn't get to see it until I was done with MCT, Marine Combat Training. It took me a little longer than the usual 4 weeks to complete that course because I got bit by a tick and came down with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It wasn't until after MCT that I got liberty and was able to leave base.

I saw Point Break twice that summer. The first time in town, the second time in a theater on base with a buddy of mine named Case. I don't recall if I saw it with him the first time. We were both training to be mortarmen. We graduated in early October and were both sent to the Marine Barracks in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. We were split up and I didn't see him much over the next year we were stationed there. I was on one side of the base and he was on the other. I lost track of him after that. I was sent to an infantry unit stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA. I'm not sure where he was sent but it was probably to an infantry unit at Camp LeJeune. I haven't seen or heard from him since.

This was a fun movie to rewatch. I've seen it a number of times over the years but it has probably been at least 10 years since I last watched it in its entirety. Keanu Reeves acting is laughable at best. Patrick Swayze is pretty good in the role of Bodhi and most of the other performances (Gary Busey, John C. McGinley, Lori Petty) are solidly good. It was fun to spot some actors in bit parts who's names I didn't know at the time I first saw it.

The real draw here was the stunts and how they were filmed and strung together through the plot of the movie. I think the other thing I liked about this movie at the time and still do is the relationship between Johnny and Bodhi. It is handled a bit ham-fisted but I like how even though they are on opposite sides of the law they share this bond over something. It isn't so much what they both love (thrill-seeking) but that they are able to overcome their differences and bond over it. I love the ending how Johnny lets Bodhi go and then throws away his badge, especially in 91 I think it meant a lot to me as someone who was getting a bit fedup with having to take orders all the time. Their relationship also makes me think of other movies that have at their core a similar sort of relationship, namely One-Eyed Jacks and Tequila Sunrise.

Point Break isn't a masterpiece and although I would watch it again in a heartbeat, I probably won't anytime soon.

Finally, a little bit of serendipity. I started to watch this the other night on a whim. I didn't finish watching it then but the next day I learned that it was going to be covered on the Bald Movies podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment