Friday, February 9, 2018

The Whole Nine Yards (2000)

Starring Matthew Perry, Bruce Willis, Amanda Peet, Michael Clarke Duncan, Natasha Henstridge, Kevin Pollak, Rosanna Arquette

Oz Ozeransky (Matthew Perry), a dentist, wakes up one morning to discover that Jimmy Tudeski, a professional hit man, is moving into the house next door. Sophie (Rosanna Arquette), his wife, pushes him to go to Chicago to tell Janni Gogolak (Kevin Pollak), Tudeski's former boss, where he is in the hopes of getting a finder's fee. So he goes but things don't exactly turn out the way he hoped they would. He meets Gogolak and delivers the news but then has to fly back home to lead Gogolak and his men into a shootout with Tudeski.

A couple more twists are introduced when first Oz sleeps with Cynthia Tudeski (Natasha Henstridge), Jimmy's wife, who has been living in Chicago. Later Oz learns that Jill (Amanda Peet), his dental assistant, was hired by Sophie to kill him.

I first saw this movie on DVD back in 2001. I don't have a clear recollection about it one way or the other. It isn't a bad movie. It has a few good laughs. The plot is a bit convoluted. I could see myself enjoying this movie a little more if I found the characters to be a little more interesting. I watched it this time around for a couple reasons. I was looking for something simple to watch and because I had just heard Kevin Pollak tell a story on a recent episode of his podcast about a run in he had with Michael Clarke Duncan while they were filming the movie. Not awful but far from great.

No comments:

Post a Comment