Sunday, April 22, 2018

Roxanne Roxanne (2017)

This is the story of Roxanne Shante. She grew up in Queens. She recorded a track which was very popular in the mid-1980s, Roxanne's Revenge. I recall hearing about it at the time but I'm not sure I ever heard it back then. Roxanne's Revenge was a response to another track, Roxanne Roxanne by UTFO. Her version was done over the same music as the UTFO song. She was known at the time as a star performer in the neighborhood. It wasn't her idea to record the track. She did it as a favor to a DJ.

The track blew up and for a time her career did too but she was young, just 14 when the track was recorded. She got hustled by men who she trusted. She had a rocky relationship with her mother. Life was not easy for her.

I like the way this movie is shot and edited. It did not feel like a Hollywood movie to me. I like the characters. It has a happy ending of sorts but everything doesn't work out for Shante in the end. Everything does not get wrapped up nice and neatly.

I like this movie very much. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I think it is worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment