Friday, May 25, 2018

Deadpool (2016)

This movie is two stories in one. One is set in the present, the other is set in the past. There are lots of fourth wall breaking moments and an endless supply of jokes. This movie does not take itself too seriously.

This was the first time I watched Deadpool. I remember listening and reading reactions to the movie when it was first released. I wasn't sure if I would like it. I was prepared not to like it but I was very pleasantly surprised. It was light, easy to watch, and not too long.

Wade Wilson aka Deadpool, is a mercenary with a super powerful healing ability. The movie opens in the present with him tracking down someone named Francis. Before the initial fight with Francis is over the flashbacks begin. In the past Wade describes how he met Vanessa, the love of his life, and how he got his superpowers. Francis is the one who masterminded the process that transformed Wade. It was not a pleasant experience.

Francis also goes by the name Ajax and thinks that Wade was killed in a fire. Ajax abducts Vanessa and uses her as a lure to get Deadpool to come to him. Wade gets a little help from a couple X-Men, Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead. Ajax has an army of mercenaries and a superpowered ally named Angel Dust. The movie ends with a showdown between the two groups.

I don't think I have ever read a Deadpool comic book. This movie doesn't inspire me to seek out Deadpool comic books. That said, I really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't exactly what I expected. The humor isn't probably up to everyone's standards but I liked a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment