Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Enlightened 1.01

Pilot

Amy (Laura Dern) suffers a meltdown on the job after she gets transferred to another division. She blames Damon, the married coworker, with whom she had an affair for the transfer. Amy takes a leave of absence, goes to Hawaii, goes through some sort of program to help improve herself and returns home. Some things have changed, some have not.

Her job is no longer available, neither the one she was about to lose or the one she was into which she was being pushed. Damon doesn't want to talk to her. She feels as though she has changed but no one seems to be willing to give her a chance. The only exception is Levi, her ex-husband, who has problems of his own, drug problems.

The show feels very white to me, as in suburban white. There are a few people of color in the episode but I don't think any of them are part of the cast of the show. Maybe if I loved this episode I wouldn't be pointing this out because there would be enough here speaking to me. Maybe I'm pointing this out because I have trouble relating to this world. Maybe I need to let the show grow on me. Maybe it won't seem quite so white after I have watched a few more episodes but that's not the feeling I get based on this one episode.

I'm intrigued but I'm not in love with this show. Maybe my mood will change after I watch a few more episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment