Saturday, July 21, 2018

The Phil Silvers Show 1.01

New Recruits

Sgt Bilko needs money. He lost all the money he had in a poker game, which included money he had borrowed from Corporal Barbella and Corporal Henshaw. The rest of men are very reluctant to fork over any money.

Things start to look up after the Col. Hall puts Bilko in charge of a squad of recruits who are very green and have plenty of cash. Bilko's conscience gets in the way of his vices when they trust him to look after their money

I think I saw an episode or two of this show way back when, probably in the late seventies or early eighties. The show originally aired in the mid-to-late fifties.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of the extras on the show were African American, although it is a far cry from parity. I will be interested to if this is a one-off, a rare occurrence, or a regular part of the show.

On the whole I think this episode has aged quite well. I was a little concerned by the canned laughter at the beginning of the episode but once Bilko made his entrance I didn't notice it quite so much. Most of the humor revolves around Phil Silvers, the way he behaves, his facial expressions, and mannerisms. I think it translates quite well to the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment