Thursday, September 13, 2018

Miami Blues (1989)

Starring Alec Baldwin, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Fred Ward; Directed by George Armitage; Based on the novel (of the same name) by Charles Willeford

Junior (Baldwin) is a restless soul who can't seem to and doesn't want to settle down. He makes ends meet by stealing from others in various ways. Sergeant Hoke Moseley (Ward) of the Miami Police Department gets on his trail after Junior assaults someone and that person dies. Junior is a little too quick for Mosely, and before the homicide detective knows it Junior beats him up, steals his badge, his gun, and his false teeth.

Junior uses the gun and the badge to commit a number of crimes around town. Before he gets started on this little crime spree he meets a young hooker, Susan (Leigh). She only sees the good in him. Eventually she starts to see Junior for what he really is. It is about that time that Mosely finally catches up to Junior.

This movie doesn't get the highest ratings from most  people but it has always been a favorite of mine. I don't recall where I saw it for the first time. I'm pretty sure I bought it on VHS back in 1991 or 92 but I don't recall if I had seen it before then or not.

I don't think it is a great film. It could have been longer. I think part of what I like about it is how the focus isn't on the good guy, but the bad one, if the movie has a bad guy. What motivates Junior? He's on a journey but that isn't exactly how the movie is explicitly framed.

Off beat is a good way to describe this movie. It probably isn't everyone's cup of tea. I enjoy it to this day but that may be in part for nostalgic reasons. It isn't predictable or cookie cutter. I think that's part of why I like it so much. I think I also like the fact that Junior clearly isn't a good person and even though he is the main character the movie doesn't portray him in a flattering light.

According to my research Gene Hackman was originally going to be Hoke Mosely and Fred Ward was going to play the part of Junior.

A few years back I finally read the book. It is a little darker than the movie but it is essentially the same story. Hoke Mosely is the main character in the book. There are three more books in the series. I've read the next two and am a few chapters away from finishing off the fourth one. I don't think they are classics but I enjoy reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment