Wednesday, October 3, 2018

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Starring Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall
Written and Directed by John Hughes

Five teens spend a Saturday afternoon in the library of their high school. They are not there by choice. It is punishment. They arrive as five strangers but leave as friends. They, one of them in particular, butt heads with Vernon, the teacher who is responsible for keeping an eye on them.

I have a lot of history with this movie. It was the first R rated movie that I saw in the movie theater, but not the first one I saw. I think that honor goes to Conan the Barbarian. This movie came out a month before my 15th birthday. My mother took me and my brother to see it. I have seen it a number of times since then. I don't love it. I like it. It has it's moments but there are also some scenes that feel forced.

Only two of the actors playing the teens in this movie were still teens when it was released. Nelson was born in 1959, Sheedy and Estevez in 1962, and Ringwald and Hall in 1968. I knew Paul Gleason, who plays Vernon, best from Trading Places but he also had a small part in Miami Blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment