Sunday, October 21, 2018

The Phil Silvers Show 1.02

The Empty Store

Bilko is broke. He has to cook up a scheme to win back the money he lost to the other sergeants. He is locked out of playing poker with them until he has some cash. He rents an empty store near Fort Baxter. He doesn't fill it with anything. The other sergeants get curious. They know he is up to something. They want in on the store venture.

Bilko doesn't seem to have any plans for the store but that doesn't dissuade the other sergeants from insisting that they be able to buy their way into the store. In the end he sells each of them a third of the store, which leaves them with an empty store.

This one started a bit slow. I don't think I laughed out loud but I did smile quite a bit. I love how Phil Silvers plays it. On the whole I thought it was okay but there wasn't enough Bilko in this one. He played it very smooth. I think I prefer the ones where he experiences a bit of conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment