Thursday, December 13, 2018

The Power of Grayskull (2017)

The Definitive History of the Masters of the Universe

directed by Randall Lobb

This documentary examines the development of the Masters of the Universe toy line and its associated interpretations in comic books, cartoons, and movies. About 2/3 of the movie focuses on the original line of toys, comic books, and cartoons. The focus shifts in the last half hour to focus on the Masters of the Universe movie and the efforts to bring back the toy line, cartoon, and comic books.

The movie starts by focusing on He-Man and his friends but somewhere around the midway point there is a segment about She-Ra. They talk about how and why she and her circle of characters were created and their popularity.

I watched a little bit of the cartoons when I was a younger but I was in my early teens when the Masters of the Universe started coming out. I have a younger brother who was very into the line of toys and had a number of them. I don't recall having any of the toys myself even though they were a fair number of them around the house.

A lot of writers, artists, actors, and other people who contributed in some way to the development of one or more of the iterations of He-Man are interviewed. There are also a few fans interviewed but it is much more than just a nostalgic look back at the cartoons or the line of toys. On the whole I enjoyed this documentary quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment