Sunday, January 13, 2019

Casual 4.08

Finale

I started watching Casual soon after it first dropped. It was the Summer of 2015. I was out of a job and unemployed. I watched that first season at home during the day. There was something about it that spoke to me. My love for the show has wavered over the years since. I was about ready to give up on it after the third season. I'm glad I came back to it for the fourth and final season.

The episode opens with a dream sequence although it wasn't clear to me that it was a dream, at first. Alex, Val, and Laura were in a church for their mother's funeral. She passed away since 4.06 (Polytropos) when they tried to go and visit her. She really did die and there is a funeral for her but the opening scene is dream that Val had.

Alex has decided to move to Austin to be near to his daughter. He plans to sell the house. There is no magical reconciliation with Rae. He still bears the scar of what Jeff did in the previous episode but there is no mention of it.

Val and Alex go out on dates with a couple people he has picked out for them, presumably from a dating web site. At first it doesn't go so good for Alex but things turn around before the night it over. Alex and Val sing karaoke together before heading off individually with their respective dates.

Laura babysits Carrie while Alex and Val are out having fun. Rae has gone ahead to Austin. Alex is going to bring Carrie with him. Tathiana stops by for a visit. Laura has to read Carrie a story to get her to sleep but after that Laura and Tathiana get in the hot tub together.  By the end of the episode they are back together again.

Leia brings home a dog, a puppy. It seems like something of a peace offering to Leon. It seems like a nice note on which to end their story.

I found myself tearing up a few times during this episode. Everyone is going their separate way. Alex is selling the house and moving away from his sister. It was all very sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment