Saturday, September 28, 2019

Tall Girl (2019)

Starring Ave Michelle, Griffin Gluck, Sabrina Carpenter
Directed by Nzingha Stewart

This is the story of Jodi, a tall high school student. She has a couple best friends. A lot of people in school pick on her. Jodi falls for Stig, the new exchange student from Sweden, who is staying with her friend, Jack, whose long time crush on Jodi complicates things. Kimmy, another classmate, takes a perverse pleasure in insulting Jodi and starts dating Stig before Jodi meets him.

Harper, Jodi's older sister, is of average height and a winner of multiple beauty pageants. Their mother was also a beauty pageant winner. Both try to be supportive, as does her father.

Thoughts

I think this movie tries to do a little too much. There is too much plot and not enough development or exploration of the characters. There are a number of plot twists that seem to materialize out of thin air. I don't think any of the characters felt real enough. I like the movie at first but the further I got into it the less I liked it. I kept hoping it would ground itself but it never seemed to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment