Saturday, January 14, 2017

Orange Is the New Black 1.01

I Wasn't Ready

Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling) reports to prison for a 15-month stint. This episode is split between (on the one hand) the first 24 hours of her prison stay and (on the other) flashbacks that help to fill in how she wound up in prison. The short version of her backstory is that she was in love with Alex (Laura Prepon), a woman who was a drug dealer. Piper helped her erstwhile lover to transport money from the United States to Belgium. She was later named as an accomplice. Rather than fight the charge she plea-bargained and that's how she wound up in prison. She has a fiance, Larry (Jason Biggs), who is very supportive. Her family, parents, grandparents, brother, seemed considerably less supportive.

In the present Chapman is doing her best to hold it together. She doesn't take to prison like a fish does to water but she is managing. Not everything goes her way. There are a couple interesting twists right near the end of the episode.

Took me a while to give this show a try. Must say I'm very impressed with the first episode. I like the characters and the pacing so far. The story is slowly evolving and I like what I see. Maybe that shouldn't surprise me since I was a big fan of the first couple seasons of Weeds. After that it kind of lost me. Weeds was also created by this show's runner, Jenji Kohan.

No comments:

Post a Comment