Thursday, July 27, 2017

Young Justice 1.09

Bereft

The team wakes up in the desert of Bialya. They cannot remember what they are doing there and that they are a team. Kid Flash and Robin recognize one another but they are the only two who do. After comparing notes it seems like they have lost the last 6 months of their memories. That's an inconvenience for most of them but for Superboy it is critical. He wasn't even conscious 6 months ago. Superboy attacks his teammates in a feral rage as they try to make sense of what's going on. They are also attacked by Bialyan soldiers.

In a moment alone, Miss Martian manages to restore some of her own memories and then later mind melds with Robin, Kid Flash and Artemis to help restore more of her own and their memories. Meanwhile, Superboy is captured by the Bialyan troops who have a supervillain ally: Psimon. Robin, Kid Flash, and Artemis take care of Aqualad, who is severely dehydrated. Miss Martian goes looking for Superboy who is being tortured by Bialyan scientists. Miss Martina goes to free him but has to deal Psimon.

I love the Wally and Artemis moments. They wake up together, unaware of who the other is. For once Wally makes passes at Artemis instead of Miss Martian. Artemis inadvertently lets drop some information about her father. She covers for it later on by acting like it was a joke. The banter between these two adds a lot of humor to the episode.

M'gann and Superboy's scenes are special but in a slightly different sort of way. She rescues him and then he steps in to help her in the battle with Psimon. This pair's relationship, unlike Wally and Artemis, is helped more by remembering the past. This story seems like a turning point for both couples. Hopefully Wally will stop hitting on M'gann now. I know that he does and becomes more serious about his relationship with Artemis at some point but I don't recall if this is where it all starts to change.

I really liked the psychic battle between Miss Martian and Psimon. It didn't end exactly how I remembered it but I may be thinking of another episode later in the season.

This episode really messed with my head the first time I saw it, as I tried to understand what I was seeing. This is at least the third time I've watched it. It doesn't hit me the same way it did the first time around but it is still a lot of fun. The structure, how the story begins partway through the story, the humor, and the relationship moments make this one of my favorite episodes of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment