Friday, March 2, 2018

Master of None 2.09

Amarsi Un Po

Francesca returns to New York, with Pino, her fiance. Pino is busy doing business in NYC and elsewhere. Francesca and Dev end up hanging together quite a bit. Dev still has a thing for Francesca. She seems to be having doubts about getting married to Pino. She and Dev dance around the issue. Eventually Dev comes out and says he's falling for her but it takes a while to get to that point. Francesca isn't sure how to respond.

This is a long episode, the longest of the series to date. It is 57 minutes. Second place in the running time competition is 36 minutes. That's a huge difference. I wasn't sure when I started watching it. It grew on me as the episode unfolded. I think what I liked is that the episode doesn't take the easy way out. It doesn't opt for a trite ending.

I thought it was quite impressive the way the story was drawn out. It was painful to watch. It hurt me to see what Dev was going through. I can't see myself watching it again but that's not because it isn't a good episode. It isn't my favorite episode but it is a very well assembled piece of art.

It would be nice if there was more to Francesca. She is caught between Dev and Pino but there doesn't seem to be much to her life on screen other than her relationships with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment