Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Cowboy Bebop 1.01

Asteroid Blues

Spike and Jet, down on their luck, intergalactic bounty hunters, go after Asimov Solensan, a criminal. Solensan and his wife are on the run from the law and the mob. He tries to unload some of the goods he stole from the mob but soon has lots of people (the mob, the law) on his tail in addition to the two bounty hunters.

Most of the episode takes place on an asteroid called Tijuana that looks like a set from an old western film. I love the pace at which the show moves and the way music is used to set the tone.

I first watched Cowboy Bebop 15+ years ago, sometime after I first got a DVD player, which was 2001. I watched it a second time 10 years ago, in 2007-08. I rented the DVDs from Netflix the first and second time around. This is just my third time watching the series. I feel as though I should have more to say about the episode but it really is as simple as I describe it in the first paragraph above. I decided to buy the DVD set even though it is available to stream through Hulu. I am watching it subbed, not dubbed. I have never tried watching it dubbed.

What sets Cowboy Bebop apart from other shows, I think, is how it purports to be an action show but is really a character piece. I love watching the crew of the Bebop, just two in this episode but more down the road, interact with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment