Friday, March 18, 2022

Flickers 1.01

Episode 1

This show is set in the early 20th century in the early days of movies in the UK.

Arnold Cole has a small operation renting and showing movies, in the UK, in the early 20th century. He has plans to improve his operation but he needs money in order to make his move. He wants to make his own movies instead of renting them from others.

Arnold turns to Clive and Maud, siblings, for the money. Maude asks a few questions of Arnold. She doesn't think much of him but ultimately she talks her father into converting part of the space in his department store into a theater.

Things don't work out for Arnold when a fire breaks out in the department store during a screening. Things don't work out for Maude when she finds out that the man she's been seeing is irresponsible and has gotten her pregnant.

Maud needs a husband. Arnold needs money. She suggests that they get married. They talk it over and he eventually decides that marrying Maud is in his best interests, so they do.

Thoughts

Bob Hoskins plays the part of Arnold Cole. I've seen him in a bunch of movies. This might be the first TV show in which I've seen him. He's been in a few movies I have seen including Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Hollywoodland.

Frances de la Tour plays Maud. I don't think I've seen her in anything else I've watched.

Andy de la Tour plays Clive, Maud's brother, and is Frances de la Tour's brother. This is his first screen credit according to IMDb.

I had heard of this show but didn't know much about it aside from the fact that Bob Hoskins was in it and that it had to do with the early days of cinema. The first half of this episode was okay. I wasn't expecting Arnie and Maude to get married but maybe I should have expected it considering how they were arguing during their first meeting.

I enjoyed this episode. I like the way the main story is interspersed with other little bits about people who will probably cross paths with Arnie and Maude in future episodes. There are just six episodes in this show. I'm going to stick with it for at least one more episode and I think there's a reasonable chance I will watch it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment