Friday, December 15, 2023

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

starring Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant
directed by Howard Hawks

102 minutes

David Huxley's (Cary Grant) life gets turned upside soon after he meets Susan Vance (Katherine Hepburn). He's a paleontologist who is about to get married when Susan enters the picture. She's a woman with a leopard that loves the song I Can't Give You Anything But Love. She needs help transporting her leopard to Connecticut. He agrees to help her and then gets stuck at her aunt's home in Connecticut .

David brought a rare dinosaur bone with him to Connecticut but George, Susan's aunt's dog, runs off with the bone. Baby, the leopard escapes. David and Susan try to find the dog and the leopard. Susan's aunt doesn't understand what they are doing.

Baby gets confused with another leopard that escapes from a circus truck. The local police get involved.

Thoughts

I wanted to like this movie more than I do. I've heard such good things about it. It has some genuinely funny moments but on the whole I found it was a bit lacking. The movie dragged in places. There was a little too much build up and weird tangents without enough payoff. I was more than ready for it to be over when it finally ended. It isn't awful but it also isn't great in my book.

12/15/23

No comments:

Post a Comment