Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Russian Doll 1.08

Ariadne

Nadia starts from the bathroom, at the party, but everything has changed. Everything is back to the way it was before she died the first time. She remembers everything she has been through. She leaves the party and goes to look for Alan. She runs into Horse, in the park. He's got Oatmeal.

Alan has a similar experience. He starts from his bathroom. He quickly notices that everything is back to the way it was. The ring is back. His fish is back. He leaves his apartment and goes to look for Nadia. He winds up at the party but she's not there.

They find one another at the bodega about 10 minutes in but something is wrong. Nadia is with Mike and doesn't recognize Alan when he finds her. Alan is drunk when Nadia finds him and doesn't recognize her. They seem to have crossed over into one another's past. They both try to follow the other to prevent them from getting killed. They both have to convince Farran to help them contact the other.

It gets really weird after a point. The two realities seem to merge at the end in a musical moment. I could go into more detail about exactly what happens but I think I have said enough.

Thoughts

I think I am just noticing that Alan also has a theme song, one that accompanies his rebirth. It's been there all along but it didn't click for me until just now.

Is there any significance to the woman Alan bumps into? She seems very friendly all things considered. Maybe I'm just reading words where there aren't any.

Seeing Nadia greet everyone at the party was weird on one level and made me happy on another. How did that old guy from Alan's building get outside so quickly and without making any noise? Am I just jumping at shadows, once again?

Is there more? Will this series continue? Does it need to? Where does it go from here? Where can it go from here? Actually based on something I read I think that the story of Nadia and Alan is over and that the next season will be a different story. Maybe it will focus on Nadia's mother. That would be appropriate considering the title of the series.

This was a fun ride. I don't regret taking my time with it or re-watching episodes.

I listened to two podcast episodes about the show after watching the final episode of the TV show for the second time. The podcast episodes tread similar ground only in that they were talking about the same subject but their approaches to the material were very different.


No comments:

Post a Comment