Saturday, February 4, 2023

Mulan (1998)

Mulan (1998)

starring Ming-Na Wen, Eddie Murphy, BD Wong
directed by Barry Cook, Tony Bancroft

87 minutes

Mulan (Ming-Na Wen) takes her father's place in the army when the Huns invade. Her father is physically weak and she, not wanting to lose him and not looking forward to the life her parents and her society want her to live, takes the opportunity to take a different path. She has to conceal the fact that she is a woman. She has some help from Mushu (Eddie Murphy), a small dragon, who is sent by her ancestors.

Mulan proves to be a better soldier than most of her compatriots but she is eventually found out. She is dismissed from her service in the army by Li Shang (BD Wong), her commanding officer. She is getting ready to return home when she realizes that Li Shang and the others are in great danger.

Thoughts

The story is set in China although it isn't clear to me when exactly the story is set. I don't know if the story is based on a historical event or a legend. Many but not all of the characters are voiced by actors of Asian ancestry.

There are a few musical numbers in the movie but I wouldn't describe it as a musical.

The pacing is quite good. 

I'm not sure why I waited so long to watch this movie. It has the touchstones of a Disney film but it is also different. I was quite impressed by it. I don't know if it will please everyone but I think that it is worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment