Friday, February 10, 2023

Watchmen (2019) 1.01

It's Summer and We're Running Out of Ice

Tulsa, OK. 1921. A young boy escapes from mob violence.

Tulsa, OK. Present. A policeman almost gets killed during a traffic stop, at night. It's the work of a member of the Seventh Cavalry. The policeman was black. The shooter was white. 

Angela Abar (Regina King) works with the Chief Judd Crawford (Don Johnson) and his police officers to find the would be murderer. They locate him but he kills himself before they can arrest him.

The episode ends with Crawford driving to the hospital late at night. He drives into a trap, doesn't call for backup, and is killed. Angela finds his body after getting a mysterious phone call. The caller meets her under the tree where Crawford was hung. The caller is the boy who escaped the mob violence in Tulsa in 1921.

Thoughts

There's a lot here that I could spend lots of words describing. I'm not certain of everything I saw and I'm not going to spend a lot of words describing what I saw. I don't want the show spoiled at this point so I am going to hold off on looking online for answers to questions that I have.

Angela dresses all in black and wears a mask, as do all the police officers. Angela and her husband are black but their kids look white. There is no explanation given for that in this episode.

The Nite Owl's ship is in this episode but I'm not sure who was piloting it. Crawford was in it but he wasn't the pilot.

I'm not sure when this is supposed to take place other than it is at some point after the events of the Watchmen comic book series. I think it has been a dozen or more years since I read Watchmen. 

There is one scene that takes place away from Tulsa. Jeremy Irons is in it. I've got a notion of who he is but I can't tell much else from it.

I'm intrigued but I'm not in love with this episode. I bought the whole series, all nine episodes so I'm planning to watch it all but I haven't been convinced just yet that it is really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment