Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Atlanta 4.03

Born 2 Die

Paper Boi is hired by a middle aged white man to help his son, Benny, who is also a rapper. That gig leads to a meeting with Bunk, another music artist. Bunk introduces Paper Boi to a group that believes that in the power of the YWA (Young White Avatar). PB takes this to heart. He tries to sign Benny to a contract, even though he doesn't think much of his music, but Benny has already signed with Bunk. Paper Boi, instead, signs Yodel Kid, a friend of Benny. Yodel Kid becomes phenomenally successful extremely quickly but then he dies on the night of the Grammys.

Earn goes looking for D'Angelo, in the hopes of signing him. He is forced to wait for days. He finally gets in only to find that the man he has met isn't D'Angelo. He experiences a sort of spiritual awakening.

Thoughts

Darius is only in the last scene. Van is not in this episode.

This is another weird one in my book. There's a message here. There's something about selling out and taking advantage of the system before its too late. It also feels very tongue in cheek.

I know the name D'Angelo but I had no idea what his music is like. I've since listened to a few videos. I think I might have gotten more out of this episode, including more laughs, if I was more cued in to the right music scenes.

I don't feel like I'm wasting my time with this season but I don't think I'm getting as much out of it as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment