Saturday, April 23, 2022

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022)

starring Michelle Yeoh, Stephanie Hsu, Ke Huy Quan, James Hong, Jamie Lee Curtis
written and directed by Dan Kwan, Daniel Scheinert

140 minutes

Evelyn Wang's (Michelle Yeoh) life takes a turn for the weird on lunar New Year's Eve when she is dealing with an IRS audit of her family's laundromat business. IRS agent Deirdre Beaubeirdra (Jamie Lee Curtis) doesn't have much patience when it come to dealing with the Wang family. Waymond (Ke Huy Quan), Evelyn's husband, who is getting ready to ask her for a divorce, seems to be become someone else. He tells her that he is from another universe and that he has come for her. He and the group he is working with need her help to prevent the destruction of the multiverse.

Joy (Stephanie Hsu), Evelyn and Waymond's daughter, seems to be behind the attempt to destroy the multiverse. Gong Gong (James Hong), Evelyn's father, also seems to be playing some sort of role in hastening the destruction of life as Evelyn knows it.

Thoughts

This movie is a wild ride, maybe a little too wild for me. I definitely thought it was a little too long. There were times when the cutting between moments was happening so fast that I really had trouble making sense of what was going on. I felt myself disengaging because I was losing track of what was going on.

I don't recall if I had heard what the movie was about at it's core but it didn't surprise me where it eventually went. It just took a long time to get there. It made sense in the end. I think this movie might be worth seeing again. I think the experience will be a different one but I don't think that I will necessarily understand it all next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment