Thursday, April 28, 2022

Atlanta 3.01

Three Slaps

Two men are on a boat, fishing in a reservoir, at night. One is Black and one is White. They talk about the reservoir. The White man tells the Black man a story about the reservoir. It creeps the Black man out and then it gets creepier.

Loquareeous is a young boy about 10 years old. He acts up in school. His mother and grandfather are called in. His mother is tired of his act and gives him a hard time. His grandfather slaps him, three times. One of his teachers sees all this and calls child protective services.

An agent from CPS shows up at Loquareeous' mother's house. His mother has had enough. She throws him out and tells CPS to take him. He is placed with a white couple, Amber and Gail. He is just one of four kids, all Black that the two women have taken in. They make them work. They don't send them to school. Loquareeous tries acting up but it doesn't get him anywhere.

CPS shows up at the house. It isn't the same agent whom Amber and Gail are used to dealing with. Gail has a private chat with the agent. The agent disappears. Amber and Gail decide to go on a trip and take the kids with them.

The episode ends with Earn waking up. He has a puzzled look on his face.

Thoughts

This was a creepy episode. The way it ends makes me think it is supposed to be understood that most of the episode was dreams that Earn was having. There is someone in bed next to him. I couldn't tell who it was but I think it was a woman. I'm not sure if it was Van. The hair makes me think yes but I can't remember how things were between Earn and Van at the end of the previous season. It has been almost 3 years since I watched Season 2.

I enjoyed this episode. It was a bit weird that the regular cast weren't in it for the most part. If they were then I didn't recognize them. I kept wondering if Loquareeous was supposed to be the younger version of one of the leads of the show. I can see how episodes like this might turn some people off to this show. The show does meander a lot, as I recall, but it has something to it that I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment