Friday, April 26, 2024

SLC Punk (1998)

SLC Punk (1998)

starring Matthew Lillard, Michael Goorjian
written and directed by James Merendino

97 minutes

Stevo (Matthew Lillard) and Heroin Bob (Michael Goorjian) are two punks living in Salt Lake City. They have some misadventures. Bob has a girlfriend, Trish, who is older than him. They have a few other friends who move in and out of the story. Stevo starts to have doubts about his commitment to the punk esthetic. His father has been pushing him to go to law school. Everything is coming to a head when Bob overdoses and dies in his sleep.

Thoughts

There are a few familiar faces in this movie but they aren't people that I have seen in many other things. I didn't think any of the performances really stood out. The face I am most familiar with is Jason Segel and he doesn't have a very prominent part.

This was okay. I don't hate it but don't love it. I smiled through a lot of the movie but there was only one scene that made me laugh. The ending got a little emotional although it didn't feel fully earned. 

Maybe I would have liked this movie more if I had seen it when it first came out or soon thereafter. It didn't live up to all the praise that seems to get heaped on it. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't all that great. It was very underwhelming considering the high marks it gets on a number of web sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment