Sunday, April 21, 2024

Fire and Ice (1983)

Fire and Ice (1983)

starring Randy Norton, Cynthia Leake, William Ostrander, Maggie Roswell
written by Gerry Conway and Roy Thomas
directed by Ralph Bakshi

81 minutes

The expanding rule of Nekron, ruler of Icepeak, threatens the people of Firekeep. King Jarol of Firekeep rejects the peace offer from Nekron because it would mean turning over his land to Icepeak. Teegra, Jarol's daughter, is kidnapped by some of Nekron's subhuman warriors while her father is dealing with the delegation from Icepeak.

Teegra escapes from Nekron's men and meets Larn, a man whose village was destroyed by Nekron's subhuman army. The two get separated when a squid like creature attacks them while they are bathing. Teegra is recaptured by Nekron's forces and taken back to Icepeak. Larn and Darkwolf, an ally he meets while searching for Teegra, make their way to Icepeak and rescue Teegra.

Thoughts

I've been aware of this animated movie almost since it was first released but this is the first time that I have watched it.

The animation varies in quality over the course of the movie. It isn't great by today's standards. The first few minutes really didn't impress me at all. Over time it grew on me.

The story has some decent moments but it feels incomplete. The characters are very basic and lack in depth.

I want to like this movie more than I do. I'm sure that if I had seen it when it was first released that I probably would have liked it considerably more, back then. On the whole I would say that I like it but don't love it. It is based on images and characters that Frank Frazetta painted. I can see the resemblance but I prefer the paintings and prints of Frazetta's to the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment