Friday, October 8, 2021

Sword of Trust (2019)

starring Marc Maron, Jon Bass, Michaela Watkins, Jillian Bell
directed by Lynn Shelton

Cynthia (Bell) and Mary (Watkins) return to Cynthia's hometown of Birmingham, AK. Cynthia's grandfather just died. The only thing he left her was his sword, which turns out to be a relic of the U.S. Civil War. It is proof, according to some, that the South actually won the war. They take it to a pawn shop which is owned and run by Mel (Maron). He offers them money for it but it isn't enough.

Cynthia and Mary walk. Nathaniel (Bass), Mel's assistant, does a quick internet search and discovers that the sword maybe worth as much as $50,000. He finds a potential buyer and then convinces Cynthia and Mary to come back. Mel and Nathaniel team-up with Cynthia and Mary to try and sell the sword. 

Thoughts

Toby Huss whom I know best from Halt and Catch Fire is also in this movie. He plays a character named Hog Jaws.

This seemed like it could get a lot darker than it ultimately did. It was funny in places, funny enough that I laughed out loud a few times. I may be a bit biased because I like Marc Maron. I really enjoyed his TV Show, Maron, and his work on GLOW.

This is the second of Lynn Shelton's movies that I have seen. The other was We Go Way Back. I have also seen some episodes of television she directed.

I'm not sure that I would recommend this movie to everyone but I enjoyed it and I think that it should appeal to many.

No comments:

Post a Comment