Saturday, October 2, 2021

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 1.06

Mrs. X at the Gaslight

Midge continues to perform at parties. She starts performing with Randall, another comic, at parties. Randall introduces her to his agent from the William Morris Agency. Susie finds out about this and gets a chance to see them perform together.

Abe gets a job offer from Bell Labs. He acts cagey toward the recruiter but secretly he is delighted. He takes the family out for dinner. Noah, Midge's brother, and Astrid, Noah's wife, are just back from Israel and join them for dinner. The meal is ruined when they spot Joel and Penny across the room. They leave but Joel spots them. He talks to Midge for a moment, alone. He notices that she is no longer wearing her wedding ring.

Susie is not taken by Midge and Randall's act. She tries to discourage Midge from performing with him. She goes so far as to confront Randall's agent at the William Morris agency.

The episode ends with a couple of faceless guys listening to a recording of Midge at the Gaslight Cafe. They have no idea who she is but they like what they hear. They label the recording "Mrs. X at the Gaslight".

Thoughts

Abe finds out that Midge was arrested and pleaded guilty to a couple of misdemeanors. He doesn't do anything about it but he's seething about it internally. It shows on his face. He's not going to be able to keep it to himself forever.

Rose visits the psychic once again. I like the humor in this scene. I didn't laugh out loud but it brought a smile to my face. 

Noah and Astrid make their first appearances. Its possible they were in the wedding scene in the first episode but they didn't have any lines. I don't expect them to play a big part in the show and based on what I've found on IMDb that seems to be the case. They will be back but not very often.

Randall will not be back based on what I found on IMDb. I probably shouldn't spoil things like this for myself but I did anyway. 

I like this episode more than the last one. I'm still not laughing at the comedy routines. I did laugh once or twice but it wasn't the staged comedy that made me laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment