Saturday, October 20, 2018

I Wake Up Screaming (1941)

Starring Betty Grable, Victor Mature, Carol Landis
Directed by Bruce Humberstone

Frankie Christopher (Mature) is accused of murdering Vicky Lynn (Landis). He was found standing over the body by Jill Lynn (Grable) her sister. NYPD Detective Ed Cornell (Laird Cregar) ignores evidence that indicates someone else murdered Vicky. He continues to investigate the case as if Frankie is the lead suspect.

I wasn't sure what I was in for. I thought this would be a little more intense than it was. It does not live up to the title. The plot is a little twisted, as most good noir stories are, but the story seems to put most of its thrust into the investigation of Vicky's murder. Who did it? Was it Frankie? I think it would have worked better if they could have dispensed with that suspense early on and then focused on something else like how Frankie is supposed to remove suspicion from himself.

I saw this as part of a double feature at the Noir City DC film festival at the AFI Silver. It was introduced by Eddie Muller of the Film Noir Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment