Thursday, March 12, 2020

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)

starring Lana Condor, Noah Centineo
directed by Susan Johnson

Lara Jean has secret letters, five of them. She wrote them to boys on whom she once had crushes. She never mailed them. She doesn't have a boyfriend. All that changes when her Kitty, her younger sister, finds the letters and mails them.

Josh, one of the guys, used to be her best friend but things got weird when he started dating Margot, Lara Jean's older sister. Peter, one of the guys, was her first kiss, when they were in 7th grade during a game of spin the bottle. Peter now dates Gen, who used to be Lara Jean's best friend. Lucas, the third of the guys, is gay but Lara Jean didn't realize that until he tells her when he returns the letter to her.

Lara Jean winds up dating Peter but only because he just broke up with Gen. He wants Gen back and hopes to make her jealous by dating Lara Jean. They lay down some ground rules. She doesn't expect it to last but it goes on longer than she thought it would.

Gen does what she can to get Peter back and to hurt Lara Jean.

Lara Jean has a best friend, Christine, who is also Gen's cousin. She pops up now and then. Lara Jean's father, also plays a role in the movie. Her mother died years before and he is still single.

Thoughts

I am so glad that I didn't watch the trailer before watching the movie. It gives away some of the best moments.

The actress who plays Margot, Lara Jean's older sister, was about 30 at the time the movie was released. Margor is only supposed to be 18. I thought she looked a little old for the part.

I like this movie but not quite as much as I hoped I would. I love the humor in it. I'm not as sold on Lara Jean's relationship with Peter. It works but I think I would have been happier if it had ended on a different note.

No comments:

Post a Comment