Saturday, May 14, 2022

Cartoon Wars 1.02

Betty Boop vs Censorship

Betty Boop debuted in 1930. Her cartoons were kept in black-and-white even after most other cartoons were in color. This episode examines a number of examples of what Betty Boop was like before and after 1933 when enforcement of the Hayes code was taken more seriously.

There were more than 100 Betty Boop cartoons made. There are clips from a number of her cartoons shown in this episode including:
  • Betty in Wonderland
  • Betty Boop in Cinderella - unusual because it is in color
  • Ha Ha Ha
  • Be Human
  • House Cleaning Blues
  • Indoor Outing

Thoughts

This episode seems like a good introduction to Betty Boop. I'm sure I saw some of her cartoon when I was a kid but I don't have any clear recollections of which ones I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment