Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Atlanta 3.06

White Fashion

Alfred joins a diversity board for a fashion company. He quickly learns that the other members of board are in it for their own purposes. They know who is buttering their bread. Alfred tries to make a suggestion and his idea ends up being the basis for a new fashion campaign instead of an attempt to make things better for Black people.

Darius inadvertently inspires a White entrepreneur to change her husband's food truck. They start selling food that sounds Nigerian but isn't. They push a Nigerian restaurant out of business. Darius doesn't see it coming until it is too late.

Earn runs into Van in a hotel lobby. He wants to know where she's been. They get interrupted by a White woman who accuses Van of stealing. The management of the hotel chase the woman off. The management apologizes and offers Earn and Van a free night's stay at the hotel. They spend the night together but in the morning Van is gone.

Thoughts

This episode is set in London. Socks is not in it. For a moment, at the beginning I wondered if the regular cast of the show were going to be in it.

Alfred's and Darius' stories are all about capitalism and the impact on the Black community. Alfred gets to see how it corrupts Black folk. Darius gets to see how it encourages White people to steal from other cultures, in this case Nigerian.

I'm guessing that this isn't the end of Earn and Van's story this season.

Was this a good episode on my scorecard? I liked it but didn't love it.

There's a few things that I missed in this episode. I didn't pick up on them until after listened to the Ringer's Prestige TV Podcast episode about this episode of Atlanta. Some of them I feel as though I should have seen others I don't think I would have seen even if I was paying careful attention. Their observations do give me a greater level of respect and appreciation for this episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment