Thursday, March 23, 2023

Atlanta 4.08

The Goof Who Sat by the Door

This is a documentary style episode about Thomas Washington, an African American animator, who mistakenly was selected to be CEO of Disney. It is about his life. It tracks him from his childhood until his death. His big project, once he became CEO of Disney, was A Goofy Movie (1995).

Thoughts

This is the longest episode of the season. It is 38 minutes long. The regular cast of Atlanta are not in this episode.

I'm not sure what to make of this episode. I'm not big into Disney. I've never seen A Goofy Movie or Goof Troop, the TV show that it is a follow up to. I had to check after I watched this episode to see if A Goofy Movie was even a real thing.

I chuckled a couple times but I'm at a loss for what to say about this episode. I feel like it went over my head, way over my head. I might have enjoyed it more or at least gotten more out of it if I had the right context. I picked up on the fact that Goofy is coded as Black but beyond that I wasn't sure what to make of this episode. Maybe it will mean more to someone who grew up watching Disney cartoons, especially Goof Troop and A Goofy Movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment