Sunday, March 17, 2024

Frida (2002)

Frida (2002)

starring Salma Hayek, Alfred Molina
directed by Julie Taymor

122 minutes

This is the story of Frida Kahlo (Salma Hayek) from the time she was crippled in a bus crash until she died. Her husband Diego Rivera (Alfred Molina) plays a big part in the story. The movie is a feast visually. The threads that run through it are Frida's relationship with Diego and her artwork.

I've seen some of Frida Kahlo's artwork here and there but I am not very familiar with it. The movie in some ways feels like it was made primarily to bring Frida's artwork to the masses. I think it stretches and tries to cover a little too much ground in terms of Frida's life. It is not in my experience uncommon for biopics to do that. It does get a little exhausting, especially in the last 30-40 minutes.

I'm glad I've seen this movie. I don't love it. It didn't give me a lot to think about. It is visually stunning. I couldn't help but feel that the scenes in Mexico should have, for the most part, been in Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment