Saturday, August 17, 2019

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power 1.01

The Sword - Part 1

Adora was raised by the Horde and has just been promoted to the rank of captain. The night before she is to undertake a dangerous mission she goes on a joyride in a stolen skiff with her friend Catra. They wind up in the Whispering Woods  where they get separated. Adora finds a magical sword or does she because when Catra finds her she in unconscious and there is no sword near her. Adora and Catra return to base but Adora can't stop thinking about the sword. She even has a dream about it.

Princess Glimmer is grounded by her mother, the Queen of Bright Moon. She sneaks out with her friend Bow in hopes of redeeming herself in her mother's eyes. They enter the woods in search of an something unusual. They run into Adora, who has returned to the woods in hopes of finding the magic sword. Glimmer and Bow capture Adora just as she finds the sword. They fight and defeat Adora. She is tied up and they try to return home with her and the sword.

They get lost in the woods and are attacked by a large creature. Glimmer and Bow do their best but the creature is too powerful for them. Adora gets her hands on the sword, speaks the magic words (For the Honor of Grayskull) and is transformed into She-Ra.

Thoughts

I've been wanting to try this series for a while. I've heard lots of good things about it. I am not in the target demographic but I was pretty impressed with this episode. I've never seen the original series. I don't know much of anything about it. I recognize some of the characters' names but that's about it.

I was a bit thrown at first by the fact that Adora starts out as a soldier for the bad guys. In retrospect, I think that makes the story better. Adora's heart was always in the right place but she has been misled by the Shadow Weaver and the Horde.

I like how all the characters interact whether they are fighting or getting along. Nothing felt forced or out of place. I was genuinely moved by the ending to this episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment