Monday, January 20, 2020

She's Gotta Have It (1986)

starring Tracy Camilla Johns, Tommy Redmond Hicks, John Canada Terrell, Spike Lee
written and directed by Spike Lee

Nola is an artist. She has three lovers, all of whom would prefer that she wasn't involved with the other two. Jamie Overstreet (Hicks) is fairly straight-laced and wants a traditional relationship. Mars Blackmon (Lee) is a bike messenger who seems happy enough to be a part of Nola's life but bristles every time that he encounters either of the other men. Blackmon, unlike the other two men, knows how to make her laugh. Greer Childs (Terrell) is a model who is very obsessed with appearances.

The movie has a documentary feel to it at times. Characters sometimes talk to the camera. I wasn't crazy about the performances. It felt quite often like the actors were just reading their lines and weren't really invested in the characters they were playing. The music is, as in most of Spike Lee's movies, great. It is fairly short, just 82 minutes long.

I've seen this movie before. It wasn't in a movie theater. It must have been on VHS. I want to say it was before I saw Do the Right Thing but I'm not certain about that. I remember being a bit underwhelmed by the movie then but not too much more about the experience. Thirty plus years later I had a similar reaction. I decided to watch it again because I want to give the Netflix show of the same name a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment