Sunday, June 6, 2021

Lost in Translation (2003)

starring Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson
directed by Sophia Coppola

Bob Harris (Murray), an actor, is in Tokyo shooting a commercial for whiskey. Charlotte (Johansson) is staying at the same hotel, with her husband who is a photographer. Bob's and Charlotte's paths cross a few times. Neither one seems to be happy or able to sleep.

Her husband goes out of town for work and leaves her behind. Charlotte and Bob wind up spending time together.

Thoughts

Bill Murray was definitely the bigger star at the time the movie was made or at least better known, but it isn't his movie alone. 

The movie is that simple but there are lots of details. There isn't a lot of dialogue. This movie probably isn't for everyone. I've been meaning to watch it for years. I'm not sure that I liked it but I was intrigued by it. The very ending got me.

Did Bob and Charlotte have sex? I didn't think so when I watched the movie but then I heard a theory that points to evidence that they did. The more I thought about it the more I could see it. I'm not sure what to think now. The movie is at best ambiguous on this subject but I think it tends to lean against them having had sex.

I don't care what Bob whispered to Charlotte at the end of the movie. It doesn't make or break the movie for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment