Saturday, September 17, 2022

The Orville 1.03

About a Girl

Bortus and Klyden, his mate, want their child to be given a sex change. Machlans are usually born male. A female is only born once every 75 years. Bortus asks Dr. Finn to perform the operation but she refuses. Captain Mercer backs up the Doctor.

Vortus reaches out to his people and they agree to send a ship to pickup the baby and perform the operation. Captain Mercer reprimands Bortus for his actions. Lieutenant Katan tries to convince Bortus of the error of his ways in the boxing ring. She doesn't get through to him.

Gordon and Lamarr get Bortus to watch a movie with them, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Bortus changes his mind. Bortus tries to convince Kytden that submitting their daughter to a sex change is the wrong thing to do. Klyden is not convinced and reveals that he was born a female, something that Bortus did not know.

Bortus insists to a hearing to decide the matter. Commander Grayson agrees to be the advocate for Bortus. The hearing happens on the Machlan home world. Commander Grayson and her colleagues do their best to prove that performing the procedure is wrong. The jury is not moved and rules that the procedure should be performed and the baby's sex should be changed. 

Thoughts

I thought I knew how this one would turn out. I was wrong. I wasn't as moved as I think I was supposed to be moved. I think it might have something to do with the pacing. I don't have a problem with the way things turn out. The home team lost one. I'm not happy considering the stakes but I think it is good to see that the good guys don't always win.

No comments:

Post a Comment