Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Emily the Criminal (2022)

Emily the Criminal (2022)

starring Aubrey Plaza, Theo Rossi
written and directed by John Patton Ford

97 minutes

Emily (Aubrey Plaza) is carrying a massive amount of student debt. She has a felony record and can't find a decent job. She works for a company, delivering food. She helps one of her coworkers out. He repays her by giving her a number to call if she wants to make some money.

Emily calls the number. She gets involved in a scheme to buy things with phony credit cards. She has opportunities to back out but she doesn't. She gets involved with Youcef (Theo Rossi), the guy who seems to be running the operation. He helps her out but that gets him on the bad side of his business partner, Khalil, who is also his cousin.

Thoughts

I know Aubrey Plaza best from Parks and Recreation but I've seen her in a few other things like Happiest Season and Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I know Theo Rossi from Luke Cage.

I had an idea how this movie would end, not good. I wasn't entirely correct but I also wasn't entirely incorrect. Towards the end of the movie I could see the that it wasn't going to end how I thought it would. Emily proved to be more resourceful and determined than I thought she was.

The tone of this movie reminded me of Drive (2011). The focus of both movies seems to be people operating outside the law in shady, criminal ways and how they interact. I've seen more movies that fit into this category. It is definitely worth a watch if you enjoy these sorts of movies. I wouldn't say it is perfect but it kept my attention and I could see myself watching it again down the road some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment