Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Touchy Feely (2013)

Touchy Feely (2013)

starring Rosemarie DeWitt, Elliot Page, Josh Pais, Scoot McNairy
written and directed by Lynn Shelton

88 minutes

Abby (Rosemarie DeWitt) hits a wall, a metaphorical wall. She needs to move out of her apartment but she doesn't want to move in with her boyfriend. Things get more complicated for her when she develops an aversion to touching other people. This is a big problem for her because she is a massage therapist.

Abby's brother Paul's (Josh Pais) dentistry practice is foundering. Things start to turn around once word gets out that he has done wonders for people who have TMJ. 

Paul's daughter Jenny (Elliot Page) works for her father.

Abby's relationship with Jesse (Scoot McNairy), her boyfriend, starts to crumble when she develops as aversion to touching people.

Thoughts

This is the fifth of Lynn Shelton's movies that I have seen. I have seen all five of them in the past three-and-a-half years.

Allison Janney has a small role in this movie. Josh Pais was also in Funny Pages (2022), which I saw fairly recently. 

I wanted to like this movie more than I do. It has elements that I like but I don't love it. It feels as though it is a bit too loose. It feels like a puzzle that is missing a few pieces. I need a little more to satisfy me. I don't need everything explained but I need more than this. 

The use of MDMA in this movie didn't work for me. It felt cheap. It could have worked but I needed more than to see a couple people experience magical things.

No comments:

Post a Comment