Saturday, April 22, 2023

Funny Pages (2022)

Funny Pages (2022)

starring Daniel Zolghadri, Matthew Maher, Miles Emanuel
written and directed by Owen Cline

86 minutes

Robert (Daniel Zolghadri) drops out of high school in the middle of the school year and moves into a depressing apartment after his art teacher dies. He gets a job working for Cheryl, a public defender who helped him after he was arrested for stealing art from his dead teacher's apartment. Robert also has a job working at a comic book shop. 

Robert becomes obsessed with Wallace (Matthew Maher), one of Cheryl's clients, after learning that he used to work for Image Comics. Robert's parents aren't supportive of his decision to drop out of school and pursue his art career. Miles (Miles Emanuel), Robert's closest friend, is supportive of his career choice but they can't seem to agree on a number of other things. Robert eventually returns home, on Christmas Day, but he brings Wallace with him.

Thoughts

There are some funny scenes in this movie. I wanted to laugh more than I did and to be perfectly honest I was surprised that there wasn't more laughter in the theater where I saw it.

Robert and his parents are the best looking people in this movie and they look fairly plain and ordinary. All the other people in the movie are much much more distinctive but not in a way that would get them praise from most people.

I don't recall any scenes where Robert's parents react to or view his art. I can only imagine how they would respond to it.

I think this movie was just the right length. I don't think another10 or more minutes would have added anything positive to it.

I can understand why some people don't like superhero comic books but I am not a fan of the sort of comic art that Robert likes to draw. It doesn't do anything for me. I don't get why it appeals to some people. The movie could be interpreted as looking down on Robert's art considering where it ends.

This is a coming of age movie. Robert basically thinks that he knows better than most people. The movie does not have a sweet ending but it also does not end tragically. I found the ending to be satisfying but I can see how some people might not. It is a little ambiguous but I'm okay with that. I think the basic message is that he still has things to learn and the most important thing he has to learn is that he still has things to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment