Saturday, October 5, 2024

Lisa Frankenstein (2024)

Lisa Frankenstein (2024)

starring Kathryn Newton, Cole Sprouse, Liza Soberano
directed by Zelda Williams

102 minutes

Lisa Swallows (Kathryn Newton) was still in shock over the brutal murder of her mother when her father married Janet. She was forced to move and change schools for her final year of high school. She starts to wake up to the world around her with some help from Janet's daughter Taffy (Liza Soberano) and her father, when a mute but animated corpse (Cole Sprouse) enters her life.

The corpse is incomplete. It is missing a hand and an ear. Lisa helps it correct these deficiencies. She uses a combination of her sewing skills and Taffy's tanning bed to perform surgery on the corpse. Fixing the corpse isn’t enough for Lisa. She has other ambitions and, although she doesn’t realize it at first, the corpse has ambitions too.

Thoughts

This movie is set in 1989. At least some of the music, fashions, and probably the cars reflect this fact. I recognized some of the music. Lisa’s stepmother at one point is shown listening to a Walkman while wearing an outfit that made me think of Jane Fonda’s Workout video or one of its imitators. 

I think I read somewhere, someone describing this as Edwards Scissorhands meets Heathers. I'm not a huge fan of either of those movies but there's something to that description.

This is a weird and wild ride. I enjoyed it. I laughed numerous times. I can see this movie becoming emblazoned on some people's hearts. It has cult movie written all over it. I generally like high school movies that take weird left turns and this one takes more than one.

This movie won't be everyone's cup of tea. I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun watching it. I might have found the end a little more moving if I hadn’t foreseen what was coming in the epilogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment