Monday, September 16, 2019

The Swimmer (1968)

Starring Burt Lancaster
Directed by Frank Perry

Ned Merrill (Lancaster) decides to make his way home, one afternoon, by swimming his way there. He hops from pool to pool, although there's also plenty of walking between pools. He is delusional. There is no one waiting for him at home. His wife and daughters have left. This isn't apparent at first but as the story progresses it becomes clear that people know stuff about him that makes them think there's something wrong with him.

I was intrigued at first but the further I got into the movie the more I found myself rolling my eyes and shrugging my shoulders. It felt very dated and just didn't do enough for me. I wasn't impressed by the actors' performances. It was pretty clear early on, within the first 15-20 minutes, that something was wrong with Ned. The problem with Ned then gets stretched out for another hour before  I think the movie is supposed to be a comment about something but I'm not sure exactly what that something is.

...

I've spent some more time thinking about this movie and even listened to a podcast where they discussed it. I have not read the short story of the same name by John Cheever on which the movie is based. I see the movie now as similar to Homer's Odyssey. Ned is Odysseus, traveling home. The closer he gets to home the clearer it becomes that this is not a triumphant journey. Things are not going to be as he keeps telling people they will be when he gets there.

The ending is ambiguous as to what exactly caused Ned's downfall or what happened to his wife and daughters. What is clear is that they left him, a while ago, possibly years ago. He is probably the sort of guy who is used to talking people into believing him or doing what he wants. Ned sees journey as one more obstacle.

Totally Pretentious: A Podcast about Great Movies

No comments:

Post a Comment