Sunday, November 8, 2020

#blackAF 1.01

because of slavery

Drea, one of Kenya and Joya's daughters, is making a documentary. It is part of her application to film school. The documentary is about the family and catches all sorts of stuff on film. There's a little bit about each of her siblings but the biggest spotlight is on her parents. 

Joya is a lawyer who is currently a stay at home mom. Her father is a writer. They live a pretty comfortable life but Kenya is starting to question some of his choices in terms of how he presents himself.

Thoughts

I wasn't sure what I was walking into when I started to watch this. I knew that it was created by Kenya Barris, who also created Black-ish. I knew that Rashida Jones was in it. That's about all I remembered hearing about it. I was confused at first by the documentary format. I was also confused by the fact that Kenya Barris is playing a character named Kenya Barris.

Drea has four siblings, two sisters and two brothers. I didn't catch all their names but thanks to IMDB I didn't have to.

I didn't laugh out loud but I caught myself smiling quite a bit as I watched this episode. Once I stopped trying to figure it out and just accepted it for what it was I started to get into it.

I'm unclear at this point if every point is going to be done as part of Drea's documentary or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment