Monday, August 21, 2023

The Karate Kid (1984)

The Karate Kid (1984)

starring Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita
directed by John Avildsen

127 minutes

Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) moves from New Jersey to southern California with his mother. He goes to a beach party with some guys he just met. He is flirting with Ally, a girl he just met, when Johnny, her ex-boyfriend shows up. Johnny doesn't starts hassling Ally. Daniel steps in to help Ally. Johnny and his friends beat up Daniel.

Daniel has a few more run-ins with Johnny and his friends, all of whom study karate at the Cobra Kai Dojo. Their teacher, John Krese, espouses a very tough, take no prisoners version of karate. 

Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita), the maintenance man in the building where Daniel and his mother live, takes Daniel under his wing. He teaches him karate and sets up a showdown with Johnny at the All Valley Karate Tournament which buys Daniel some time to improve his skills. Daniel trains with Mr. Miyagi and gets to know Ally a little better in the days, weeks, and months that lead up to the tournament.

Thoughts

I saw The Karate Kid in the theater when it was first released. I remember enjoying it then. I've probably seen it since then but I haven't seen in in the last 25 years, possibly much more than that. I probably wouldn't have watched it again but since watching the first season of Cobra Kai I've been wanting to go back and watch the original.

I enjoyed it this time around but not as much as I did when I first saw it. I enjoyed it immensely at that time. It isn't awful but it falls short of the level that I thought it rose to when I first saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment