Tuesday, August 29, 2023

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988)

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988)

starring Keenan Ivory Wayans, Bernie Casey
written and directed by Keenan Ivory Wayans

Jack Spade (Keenan Ivory Wayans) returns home from serving in the Army. He's there to avenge the death of Junebug, his brother. He teams up John Slade (Bernie Casey) to find and take down Mr. Big, the big boss behind the death of Junebug. Spade and Slade team up with several of Slade's old friends. 

Thoughts

There are a lot of familiar faces in this movie: Jim Brown, Isaac Hayes, Antonio Fargas, Dawnn Lewis, John Vernon, Damon Wayans, Kadeem Hardison, Ja'net DuBois, Chris Rock, Clarence Williams III, Anne-Marie Johnson, John Witherspoon, David Alan Grier, Kim Wayans, Robin Harris. Some of them had just brief appearances and some played supporting characters.

This was Keenan Ivory Wayans directorial debut. I know him best as the star and host of In Living Color. 

The premise for this movie is a familiar one. It is similar to the one for Black Dynamite (2009) although Jack Spade is no Black Dynamite and I’m Gonna Git You Sucka (1988) is no Black Dynamite (2009).

This was my first time watching this movie. It was a fun watch, very tongue in cheek. It does not take itself seriously at all. I'm fine with that. I didn't love it but it was good.

08/29/23

No comments:

Post a Comment