Friday, August 25, 2023

Shiva Baby (2020)

Shiva Baby (2020)

starring Rachel Sennott, Danny Deferrari, Fred Melamed
directed by Emma Seligman

77 minutes

Danielle goes to a shiva with her parents. She runs into Maya, her-ex-girlfriend, and Max, the older guy with whom she is currently having sex, for money. Things get increasingly uncomfortable for Danielle. She finds out that Max is married, meets his gorgeous wife and their 18-month old baby, who cries a lot. Danielle does awkward and embarrassing things as she feels her life is spinning out of control. 

Thoughts

Most of this movie takes place inside the house at the shiva.

Words can't sum up this movie adequately but basically it is about a young woman who hasn't quite transitioned into her adult self, desperately wants to be treated as an adult, and besieged by various things that make such a transformation very difficult. The movie alternated between screamingly funny and poignant in a way that I felt like I could really appreciate. I love the way this movie is shot and the music.

Totally worth it. It didn't take long for me to get hooked by this film.

Notes

Dianna Agron played the part of Kim, Max's wife. I didn't recognize her but she played Quinn on Glee. It has been several years since I last watched Glee and I don't think I have seen anything else in which she has appeared.

Molly Gordon played the part of Maya. She was also in Booksmart (2019) and an episode of Orange in the New Black but I don't have a clear recollection of having seen her before. 

Fred Melamed played the part of Danielle's father. He played the father/grandfather of the three lead characters in Casual. He was also in Hail, Caesar! (2016), an episode of  Fargo, and a few Woody Allen films from the 1980s that I have seen.

08/25/23

No comments:

Post a Comment