Monday, May 27, 2024

Slaying the Dragon (1988)

Slaying the Dragon (1988)

directed by Deborah Gee

58 minutes

This documentary is about the way that Asian and Asian American women were been portrayed in movies and on television from the late 1920s to the late 1980s. It starts in the era of silent films with Anna May Wong. Using clips of movies and interviews with actors, scholars, and others the documentary traces the ways in which portrayals of Asian woman changed over the 60 plus years that it covers.

This documentary wasn't even on my radar screen until I did a little research after watching The Crimson Kimono (1959). James Shigeta, one of the stars of The Crimson Kimono, appeared in this documentary. I watched it on Kanopy.

I enjoyed watching this documentary which opened my eyes and made me aware of some films that I had not seen and, in some cases, even heard of before now.

No comments:

Post a Comment